The Brandeis University Genetic Counseling Program participates in the Genetic Counseling Admissions Match through National Matching Services (NMS) which launched in 2018. “The Match” was created to establish a process for placing applicants into positions in masters-level genetic counseling programs that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling (ACGC). The Match uses an algorithm that takes into account both applicants’ and programs’ preferences. At the conclusion of all interviews during an admissions cycle, applicants and programs each submit ranked lists of programs and applicants, respectively. The binding results of the Match are released to both applicants and programs simultaneously. Applicants who do not match and programs who do not fill their slots can participate in the post-match process.
Important Match Information
• All Programs and applicants who wish to participate in the Match must register with NMS.
• NMS registration is $100 for applicants, regardless of how many Programs they apply to. This fee is separate from the application fee for each individual Program.
• Applicants who are re-applying to genetic counseling programs must register with NMS for each admissions cycle. Registration does not carry over from one year to the next.
• GRE scores and final transcripts are not required to register for the Match.
• Applicants who have registered with NMS will be issued a unique five-digit identification number. Brandeis, like many Programs, requires this on their application.
• Applications from individuals not registered for the Match be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Dates for the 2019 Match
|September 5, 2018||NMS Registration opens|
|December 14, 2018||Suggested date for applicants to register for the Match.
NMS distributes a list of registered applicants for the 2019 Match to all Programs.
|April 16, 2019||Deadline for Applicants and Programs to submit rank order lists to NMS.|
|April 26, 2019||Match notifications sent to applicants and Programs.|
Please visit the NMS website to register for the Match, review detailed information about the Match process, and to view a demonstration of how the matching algorithm works.