- BCHM102a (Quantitative Approaches to Biochemical Systems)
- One additional elective (excluding research courses) approved in advance
by the Biochemistry Department Undergraduate Advising Head
- Four research courses (consisting of one or two semesters of BCHM 99 plus two or three semesters of BCHM 150)
- A full-time (i.e., no concurrent coursework) summer research residency lasting at least 10 weeks
- Submission of an acceptable thesis
- A GPA of 3.00 or better in the sciences and mathematics
- Grades of B- or better in all courses used for the major
This program requires completion of thirty-eight courses and the total credits required for the B.S./M.S. degree is 152; no more than six semesters of research (BCHM 99 or BCHM 150) can count toward this total.
Application to this program is made to the department and Graduate School no later than May 1 preceding the senior year, and all work, including the thesis, must be completed by the time the B.S. is awarded. Admission requirements and the Four Year B.S./M.S. Program application form can be found on the GSAS website. To qualify for the B.S./M.S. degree, the thesis must constitute a significant research contribution, if a thesis is found unacceptable under B.S./M.S. program, it will automatically be considered under the Honors program. The B.S./M.S. thesis must be deposited electronically to the Robert D. Farber University Archives at Brandeis. In order to complete the Honors Program or the combined B.S./M.S. Program, it is advisable to gain exemption where possible from introductory courses in science and mathematics. This is especially important for the premedical students who must also fulfill the requirements imposed by medical schools.