|Students from Brandeis and other universities who participated in our Division of Science Summer Program present posters on their research.
2015 National Science Foundation REU Programs in
Biological and Physical Sciences at
Questions? View FAQs
Brandeis University seeks qualified applicants for an NSF-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program in the Biological and Physical Sciences for a 10-week period beginning May 26th, 2015 and finishing July 31st, 2015. A $5,000 stipend, plus housing costs and meal allowances will be awarded to each participant. Participants must be US citizens or permanent residents and should have completed their sophomore or junior year of study and be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate college or university. We especially welcome applications from students of under-represented groups in science, or who come from economically-disadvantaged backgrounds (for example, first-generation college students), or who come from academic institutions with limited resources for research, or who are students with disabilities (ie. a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities).
Selected students will be matched with a faculty researcher, from over 70 in the biological and physical sciences, who will mentor the student through an independent research project. Students will participate in weekly lunch seminars, which will include faculty research presentations, ethics discussions and professional development activities such as panel discussion with students and postdoctoral fellows from the Greater Boston area concerning careers in medicine, biotechnology and research. Students will develop a written synopsis of their summer work, with feedback and editing, and they will participate in a capstone symposium including poster presentations.
Applications and all supporting materials are due February 2, 2015.
Brandeis will be offering two REU programs in 2015:
- REU in Cell & Molecular Visualization (apply HERE)
- REU in Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) (apply HERE).
Before beginning the online application process, please be prepared to answer the following two essay questions:
- Please describe your previous research experience. Be sure to include institution name, lab/PI name and dates for each experience (optional).
- Please describe your academic and research goals. Be sure to include how participation in this program would help you achieve these goals.
In addition to completing the online form, each of the following must be sent to SummerResearch@brandeis.edu to complete your application. All documents should be submitted electronically in either PDF format (preferred) or MSWord:
- A digital, unofficial complete transcript, including fall semester grades of the current year.
- Recommendation letters from two faculty members. Letters must be submitted from a university email address with "REU Recommendation" and the Student's name in the subject heading.
ALL of the above and this application must be RECEIVED by February 2nd, 2015. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. Please plan accordingly.
For more information: